Carbon Monoxide Detectors

FB_-_CO_Detectors_motion.png

I know carbon monoxide poisoning have been top of mind for many neighbours.

At today's City Council meeting, I put forward a motion that the Mayor and I have been working on. It was unanimously supported and included reporting on the following:
➡️ Information on the current approach and requirements on carbon monoxide alarms in properties in the City of Saskatoon
➡️ What options are available to require carbon monoxide detectors in buildings older than 2009
➡️ A review of best practices of how other Cities have addressed this challenge
This work is top of mind for Council and Administration. I look forward to the report back with options on how we can move forward.

Resources:

Stay in the know on how to identify symptoms and prevent CO poisoning.

➡️ Have your heating equipment, like furnaces and fireplaces, properly installed, maintained and inspected by a licensed contractor.
➡️ Make sure that your furnace and water heater pipes are in good condition.
➡️ Make sure all furnace panels or grills are in place and the fan compartment door is secured.
➡️ Make sure that your chimneys and flue vents are not blocked by debris, frost or snow.
➡️ Have your fuel-burning appliances, like water heaters, gas ranges, gas clothes dryers or gas fueled portable heaters properly installed, maintained and inspected by a licensed contractor.
➡️ Never use a gas barbecue indoors.
➡️ Never run your vehicle in the garage, even if the garage door is open.
➡️ Never run a generator in your home, garage or crawl space. Opening doors and windows or using fans will not prevent carbon monoxide build-up in the home.
➡️ Never use a gas range, oven or dryer for heating.
➡️ Never start lawn mowers or snow blowers inside an enclosed space.

Exposure to carbon monoxide can cause flu-like symptoms such as headaches, nausea, dizziness, burning eyes, confusion, drowsiness or loss of consciousness. In severe cases, carbon monoxide poisoning can cause brain damage and death. The elderly, children and people with heart or respiratory conditions may be particularly sensitive to carbon monoxide.

Showing 1 reaction

Please check your e-mail for a link to activate your account.
  • Sarina Gersher
    published this page in Updates 2021-01-25 18:13:07 -0600